Monday, January 18, 2010

Punch up

Now begins the lengthy process of going through my first 'completed' work and deciding everything I hate about it and everything I like. Then deciding if that view is justified before I fall into the overediting trap.

Then I simultaneously copyedit and generally style and consistency proof my work.

After that I have a real copy of draft 1.

From what I've been seeing this is a step a lot of would be writers miss. Heinlein's 5th (I think) rule tells you not to edit, that if you wrote something a certain way, theres probably a reason. He was right, but he's also Heinlein.

You are not Heinlein. Nor am I.

So be your own first beta reader, be honest and realistic with yourself about what you've written, don't over think or agonise. Just read it and ask, "Did that make sense, and did I enjoy reading it."

After all, if you can't proof your own work, how can you expect anyone else to?

No comments:

Post a Comment